Unexpected loneliness

Where’s the baby book you read all snuggled up in bed cradling your baby bump feeling them kicking away titled - The truth about the first year of motherhood.

I found out very quickly that there are many things that motherhood involes which is still such a taboo, why? Why are we not more honest? Why do we pretend everything is happy baby’s, cuddles and play dates.

I’m talking about loneliness and loss of identity. I never thought four months after giving birth I would find myself feeling so isolated and lonely even with an amazing husband, friends and family relitivly close by. It doesn’t matter if your in a room full of 100 people, you can still feel like the only person on the planet. We can spend hours (and for many people days/weeks) only talking to our babies who lets face it don’t have the best conversations at this stage. I have gone from work hard play hard, always on the go, to spending 12 hours staring at a clock waiting for my husband to come home so I can have a conversation. Loss of identity plays a massive factor in the ‘new to parenthood’ tag and its hard to see everyone else be who they always have been but you don’t know who you are. How do you get ‘you’ back but embrace the fact you are now a mother and now a different person, is it even possible? 

Being a first time mum is life changing not just for your physical being but also for your mental being and just like loosing that baby weight it doesn’t happen over night, give yourself time and be kind. 

If anyone is reading this and thinking that’s how I feel, it proves your not alone. That won’t make you feel any better but know that if me and you feel like this there are millions of mothers out there that have come out the other end and are embracing the person they have become. 

Comments

Popular Posts